Everett Ship Repair is the Pacific Northwest’s Premier Ship Repair Facility. Founded in 2019, Everett Ship Repair offers vast ship repair capabilities from its facility in Everett, Washington, including repair, maintenance, and conversion services for any type of commercial vessels, with focus on commercial workboats and passenger vessels. With the US Navy as our neighbor, it is no secret that we are in aggressive pursuit of earning their business as we grow our footprint, skills, and profile in this market. Together with our sister company Nichols Brothers Boat Builders and Shared Ice Services, we represent the heft and might of Ice Cap Holdings’ presence in the maritime community of the Pacific Northwest. With impressive dry-docking capacity, and an opportunity to be part of an emerging team of industry veterans and highly skilled tradesmen, ESR strives to continuously improve our repair and construction methods into efficient and reliable processes. We seek tradesmen who share that view, value learning opportunities, and desire an opportunity to apply their skills in our progressive environment.
We are now seeking a a Combo Fitter/Welder, who will work primarily in fabrication, assembly, subassembly, and final erection of all structural components on marine vessels including hulls, superstructures, masts, pilot house, and engine rooms.
What You will Do
- Fabricate, form, and fit metal structures to build structural elements of marine vessels during all phases of construction and rebuilds.
- Weld and fit metal, like steel or aluminum, to meet specifications.
- Works from ship specifications, work orders and applicable working drawings and blueprints to recognize and execute on concepts of form shape, fit, and weld on vessels.
- Researches and suggests solutions to conditions requiring comprehensive condition found reports (CFRs).
- Tack welds steel and/or aluminum components
- Sets up and uses portable burning/heating torches for steel plates and shapes using propane, acetylene, and oxygen.
- Lays out and fabricates steel and aluminum structural parts, such as plates, bulkheads, and frames, and braces them in position within hull of ship for welding.
- Aligns parts in relation to each other, using jacks, come-a-longs, turnbuckles, clips, wedges, and mauls.
- Installs new and/or affects repairs to ships structure, foundations, structural closures, and outfitting items.
- Cuts, bevels, and flushes steel with a Gas/Oxy burning torch
- Prepares surfaces by grinding and chipping.
- Knows and applies quality assurance requirements in performance of duties.
- Performs Arc welding – 6G Stick, TIG and wire CuNi, Stainless steel, and Carbon Steel.
- Performs carbon arc gouging for weld preparation and cleanup. Tack and perform minor welding with MiG and Arc Welding processes.
- Properly cares for and safely uses hand and power tools.
- Complies with craft and shipyard safety and environmental measures.
- Always embrace ESR safety culture and practice safe shipyard work practices and housekeeping.
- Installs packing, gaskets, liners, and structural accessories and members, such as doors, hatches, brackets, and clips.
- Develops and maintains constructive and cooperative working relationships with fellow crew members and supervisors.
- Share’s knowledge in the trade, especially with those in learning or apprentice roles.
- Other tasks as needed that may arise in our exciting start-up work environment.
What You Bring to Our Team
- 3+ years’ Shipbuilding or metal working experience in a marine environment (experience as a Shipfitter preferred.)
- Basic Welding Skills (MiG, Tig and Stick welding)
- High School Education or equivalent or vocational education
- Demonstrated ability to do basic shipboard layout.
- Comprehends and understands marine architectural blueprints.
- Ability to discern from blueprint information needed to fabricate, erect, and install ships structures, foundations, structural closures, and outfitting items.
- Ability to understand and apply basic math skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to pass company pre-employment screens in background check, drug test, and physical skills test.
- Ability to maintain excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of Standard Ship fitting tools and forming equipment including torches, saws, cutting torch, bandsaw, rollers, presses, and shears.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of metal fabrications, preferably in a marine environment.
- Ability to express ideas concisely and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Experience working around heavy machinery
- Ability to work overtime as necessary
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work at heights of 60 ft.
- Provides tools as per ESR welder/fitter tool list.
What Additional Things Would Distinguish You
- Skills and experience in aluminum and steel fabrication
- Previous experience in a shipyard (new construction or repair)
- Certification or skills/experience in driving forklift or manlifts
- Certification as a Shipyard Competent Person
- Previous experience and/or basic skills in Pipe and Carpentry
- Interest in and aptitude for taking on future crew leadership roles.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Everett Ship Repair, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, political affiliation, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability.
Pay: $28.55 per hour to $34.14per hour.
- 401(k) and 401(k) matching
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Dental insurance
- Group Life Insurance with Optional supplemental life and disability insurance programs
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Culture of Learning with State-Crtified Apprenticeship Programs