Nichols Brothers Boat Builders and Everett Ship Repair are building and servicing state-of-the-art vessels including tugs, ferries, fishing vessels, barges, and cruise boats in the Pacific Northwest. Operating in Freeland and Everett Washington respective, they work independently and jointly on proects, bringing the skills, trades and resources required to support the maritime community of the Pacific Northwest.
The Director of Sales and Marketing will lead and with the sales and Marketing team, develop and execute the company’s sales strategy to capture emerging opportunities as our industry recovers from the global pandemic. Join an employer who is staking out a leadership role in leading edge maritime opportunities presented by the emerging offshore renewable energy sector, demand for electrification and hybrid in operator fleets, and green vessel technologies. A recent recipient of significant grant funding from the U.S. Department of Transportation to help buy, repair, and modernize ferry boats and terminals, we are poised for success on several fronts. Promote our innovative technologies and production methods as solutions to other industry leaders with whom we can partner to meet the needs of the key maritime operators, their crews, the industry, and our environment. This key role will report to the Chief Executive Officer and will lead the company’s entire sales and marketing efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and lead execution of sales and marketing strategy for both new construction and service lines of work.
- Develop business forecasts and marketing plans to address current and emerging market opportunities.
- Develop, nurture, and grow client and prospect relationships.
- Perform market research to identify current and future business opportunities.
- Leverage knowledge specific to shipbuilding and maritime industry to present and sell company’s new construction and repair services.
- Perform professional field sales and high-level customer consultation in current and emerging sectors of our industry, including government, renewable energy, commercial fishing, and passenger vessels.
- Lead business development processes, including funnel management, capture management, and proposal development.
- Lead strategic business development planning efforts.
- Create long-range strategy and strategic path to develop commercial revenue and maintain existing programs for Ice Cap Services, including new construction and repair.
- Conducts due diligence evaluating potential partners.
- Develop and deliver presentations highlighting the value of alliances or partnerships to all involved parties.
- Assist with the negotiation of formal alliance or partnership agreements and ensures ongoing satisfaction of the partner organization.
- Maintain and develop active sales database for sales and marketing efforts through Salesforce that allows for mass mailings, email outreach and client relationship management.
- Assist Estimating department with sales estimates as needed and Request for Proposals.
- Transition the customer from sales lead to project management upon close of sale and perform final close out with customer upon project completion.
- Works across Engineering, Production, and Finance teams to understand our developing technology, identify market development and entry opportunities, and communicate gaps between market needs and our current service offering.
- Motivate and train sales and marketing staff.
- Create, evolve, and grow library of effective sales and marketing content.
- Gather competitive information and assess market demands.
- Participate in regional and national trade shows and training seminars.
- Work with the Senior Management Team to ensure the coordination and timely resolutions to collections situations in the best interest of the company both financially and commercially.
- BS/BA degree in Engineering, Business Administration, or related field, MBA preferred.
- Ability to achieve security clearance for U.S. military pursuits.
- Proven success calling on ship owners, government agencies, contractors, or suppliers of products for shipbuilding and ship repair.
- Ability to lead and manage in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment.
- Ability to listen to staff and customers and act appropriately.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret contracts, contract specifications.
- Experience with planning and executing marketing activities through trade shows, industry organizations, social media campaigns, and direct sales.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and MS Project.
- Excellent presentation skills and experience presenting to large groups at varying levels of management industry associations and trade shows.
- Ability to articulate a compelling, inclusive vision for the future that anticipates trends and possibilities.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team environment.
- Ability to travel domestically as required by customer demands and internationally on occasion.
- Knowledge of key players in the maritime industry, shipbuilding, and supply chain.
- Leadership style that embraces serving as coach and mentor to your peers and colleagues.
- Knowledge of or familiarity with business development in the DoD market, to include leading and supporting capture efforts for large programs.