Everett Ship Repair is the Pacific Northwest’s Premiere Ship Repair Facility. Founded in 2019, Everett Ship Repair offers vast ship repair capabilities from its facility in Everett, Washington, including repair, maintenance, and conversion services for any type of commercial vessels, with focus on commercial workboats and passenger vessels. With the US Navy as our neighbor, it is no secret that we are in aggressive pursuit of earning their business as we grow our footprint, skills, and profile in this market. With impressive dry-docking capacity, and an opportunity to be part of an emerging team of industry veterans and highly skilled tradesmen, ESR strives to continuously improve our repair and construction methods into efficient and reliable processes. We seek tradesmen who share that view, value learning opportunities, and desire an opportunity to apply their skills in our progressive environment.
We are seeking a Paint Supervisor who will lead the efforts of the Journeymen and Apprentice Painters under his/her supervision and motivate them to accomplish the work safely, correctly, and efficiently. Paint and Coating is an art form – and we invite you to consider joining our team of artists who create the needed surface coatings and protections and provide finishing touches on our vessels. We transform vessels from a state of unfinished works in progress to awe-inspiring maritime masterpieces. Our trade’s advances in science and materials have created a need for us to acquire an accomplished paint craftsman who can develop the skills and careers of our internal paint department employees (from Apprentice through leads).
What You will Do
- Provide supervision to assigned employees, include assignment to tasks, assuring completion of tasks within deadlines, resolving conflicts, and motivating optimal performance from department trades and support staff.
- Lead and communicate company safety culture and policies. Leads craft safety meetings. Holds employees accountable for demonstrating acceptable safety practices. Provides input to ways to instill attention to safety among all employees.
- Work closely with the project managers or construction manager for elements in the projects in the supervisor’s craft area; handles planning including specifying staffing needs and scheduling, tools, materials, equipment, and subcontracts.
- Plan and project manpower requirements to support production/ project management activities.
- Coordinate regulatory agency compliance for assigned crafts. Assure employees accomplish work in accordance with proper practices and within specifications.
- Oversee development of daily work assignments and expectations for production workforce.
- Set standards of excellence in leadership, safety, quality, and productivity for crew members.
- Ensure all employees have all the necessary tooling, equipment, specifications, drawings, and procedures to properly accomplish their jobs.
- Conduct toolbox meetings.
- Ensure through personal inspection and power of example that correct construction procedures are followed and work is following the plans and specifications. Points out deficiencies, explains and takes corrective action as needed.
- Review crew’s timecards for correct hours and phase coding and instills processes to assure for timely and accurate submission of work hours at weekly deadlines.
- Demonstrate and model behavior supportive of the direction the company is headed; provides meaningful and constructive suggestions for practice improvements; acts as and is a recognized leader among peers.
- Assist estimating department as required for bidding work.
- Attend daily production meetings and coordinates assignments with other shops
- Develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with fellow crew members and supervision
- Share your knowledge in the trade with other employees, especially those in apprentice roles
- Other tasks as needed that may arise in our exciting work environment
- Supervisory and Leadership duties to include:
- Understand and comply with Affirmative Action, EEO, Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and all other HR policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicate goals and objectives.
- Provide direction and leadership to achieve company Mission and Safety Vision.
- Complete and process employee evaluations in a timely manner.
- Direct, motivate, and develop employees for maximum performance.
What You Bring to Our Team
- Knowledge of marine-related equipment, ship repair and construction techniques; sequencing of ship repair activities; shipyard safety practices; and complex mathematical principles as applied to shipping activities.
- Knowledge of and ability to respond to presenting issues related to:
- Coatings and Surface Preparation
- Hazardous Materials and
- Previous journey experience as a Painter
- Willingness to learn and apply state of the industry practices in hazardous waste transportation, hazardous/toxic waste management, and regulation of hazardous/toxic materials.
- Certification in NACE (C-7 or C-14) or SSPC is preferred but will accept one with desire and aptitude to achieve certifications within short time period.
- Ability to advance the paint trade at ESR or in industry through serving as instructor in apprenticeship program, or role in industry association, or on other special projects.
- Fully knowledgeable and proficient in materials presented in paint RSI classes
- Effective leadership, communication, and team-building skills.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers and employees.
- Skill in directing and coordinating the work of others; act as a leader and be recognized as such by others; coach and motivate the work of others; and resolve conflicts.
- Ability/proficiency with personal computer and system/platform applications such as word processing and spreadsheets; interpreting technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form.
What Additional Things Would Distinguish You
- BA/BS plus 2 years in a related field or AA/AS plus 4 years directly related experience or 8 years directly related ship building/ship repair experience.
- Previous experience as Supervisor of a Paint shop or of a Paint trade is preferred
- Experience with commercial shipbuilding software.
- Experience with and ability to read and interpret schedules in P6.
- Knowledge of ship construction, shipboard systems, and marine equipment.
- Works to continue personal competency through education, outside literature, seminars, or the like.
Pay: $36.00 per hour to $41.00 per hour.
- 401(k) and 401(k) matching
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Dental insurance
- Group Life Insurance with Optional supplemental life and disability insurance programs
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Culture of Learning with State-Certified Apprenticeship Programs
Equal Employment Opportunity: Everett Ship Repair, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, political affiliation, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability.