Everett Ship Repair is the Pacific Northwest’s Premier Ship Repair Facility. Founded in 2019, Everett Ship Repair offers vast ship repair capabilities from its facility in Everett, Washington, including repair, maintenance, and conversion services for any type of commercial vessels, with focus on commercial workboats and passenger vessels. With the US Navy as our neighbor, it is no secret that we are in aggressive pursuit of earning their business as we grow our footprint, skills, and profile in this market. With impressive dry-docking capacity, and an opportunity to be part of an emerging team of industry veterans and highly skilled tradesmen, ESR strives to continuously improve our repair and construction methods into efficient and reliable processes. We seek tradesmen who share that view, value learning opportunities, and desire an opportunity to apply their skills in our progressive environment.
We are now seeking a Ship Superintendent to lead the efforts of multiple shipbuilding trades for one or more of our construction or repair projects under his/her supervision and motivate them to accomplish the work safely, correctly, and efficiently. Reporting to the Operations Director, the incumbent will execute the project strategy and supervise skilled trades across all shipbuilding crafts to complete the service project in accordance with all applicable plans, specifications, codes, and industry standards.
What You will Do
- Provide supervision to assigned employees in multiple trades, including supervisors and leads. Supervision includes assigning tasks, assuring completion of tasks within deadlines, resolving conflicts, and motivating optimal performance from department trades and support staff.
- Lead and communicate company safety culture and policies. Holds employees accountable for demonstrating acceptable safety practices. Provides input to ways to instill attention to safety among all employees.
- Work closely with production managers and project managers for elements in the projects in the supervisor’s craft area; handles planning including specifying staffing needs and scheduling, tools, materials, equipment, and subcontracts.
- Coordinate with purchasing and engineering departments to ensure vessel parts, materials, and contract work arrives correctly and on time.
- Ensure engineering work packages in use are current revisions and accurate to the project contract specifications.
- Update progress and work status to project management team for earned value/critical path analysis.
- Coordinate regulatory agency compliance for assigned crafts. Assure employees accomplish work in accordance with proper practices and within specifications.
- Ensure all employees have all the necessary tooling, equipment, specifications, drawings, and procedures to properly accomplish their jobs.
- Perform risk assessment and determining contingency plans.
- Perform or oversee initial quality assurance check for all work types on project.
- Assist in developing, auditing, or teaching apprenticeship training and testing materials.
- Coordinate with department heads to ensure smooth workflow and inter departmental communication.
- Work with owner representatives on quality control records and sign off.
- Oversee schedule performance, investigates discrepancies, and develops practical solutions.
- Ensure through personal inspections that crews are following correct construction procedures and work follows the plans and specifications.
- Work with PM to update project schedules to reflect actual work completed to monitor progress throughout the build process.
- Contribute to and participate in project review meetings with key stakeholders.
- Lead and be recognized as leader by others; coach and motivate others; and resolve conflicts.
- Initiate and/or participate in the quality improvement process to address and resolve issues impacting quality.
- Share your knowledge in the trade with other employees, especially those in learning or apprentice roles
- Other tasks as needed that may arise in our exciting work environment
What You Bring to Our Team
- 5-10 years’ experience in Marine Construction Supervision, and tradesman experience at the journeyman level in a Marine Construction Field
- BA/BS plus 2 years in a related field or AA/AS plus 4 years directly related experience
- Proficient computer skills in Outlook, Excel, and Project
- Learning orientation as demonstrated by record of growing personal competency through education, outside literature, seminars, or the like
- Knowledgeability on modern shipbuilding including the creation and use of build strategies, master schedules, product work breakdown structures, material requirement planning, product modeling, wok order creation and budgeting, resource loading and detailed scheduling.
- Knowledgeability of all areas of production, such as craft parameters, material requisitioning, purchasing, scheduling, quality assurance and testing requirements, contract specifications, regulatory body requirements and receiving and warehousing. Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Self-discipline, resourcefulness, and accountability for delivering on commitments to the customer.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers and employees.
- Skill in directing and coordinating the work of others; act as a leader and be recognized as such by others; coach and motivate the work of others; and resolve conflicts.
- Previous journey -experience in a shipbuilding trade
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
What Additional Things Would Distinguish You
- Experience with commercial shipbuilding software.
- Experience with and ability to read and interpret schedules in P6
- Knowledge of ship construction, shipboard systems, equipment, and their operations
- Works to continue personal competency through education, outside literature, seminars, or the like.